Shrimp lo mein is a delicious and popular Chinese dish that combines stir-fried shrimp, vegetables, and noodles in a savory sauce. Here’s a basic recipe to help you make shrimp lo mein at home:
– 8 ounces lo mein noodles (or substitute with spaghetti)
– 1/2 pound medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 teaspoon grated ginger
– 1 cup sliced vegetables (such as bell peppers, carrots, broccoli, and mushrooms)
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
– 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Optional garnish: sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- Cook the lo mein noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan or wok, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan and stir-fry for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and cook until they turn pink and opaque, usually 2-3 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the sliced vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are slightly tender but still crisp.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil.
- Return the shrimp to the pan with the vegetables. Pour the sauce over the shrimp and vegetables, and stir to combine everything evenly. Cook for an additional minute or two.
- Add the cooked lo mein noodles to the pan and toss them with the shrimp, vegetables, and sauce until everything is well coated. Cook for another minute to heat the noodles through.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
- Serve the shrimp lo mein hot and enjoy!
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding other ingredients such as bean sprouts, snow peas, or water chestnuts. You can also adjust the sauce ingredients according to your taste preferences. Enjoy your homemade shrimp lo mein!