Hashbrown chicken casserole is a delicious and comforting dish that combines tender chicken, crispy hashbrown potatoes, and a creamy sauce. Here’s a simple recipe to make hashbrown chicken casserole:
– 4 cups frozen hashbrown potatoes, thawed
– 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
– 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
– 1/4 cup melted butter
– 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
– 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Optional toppings: chopped green onions, cooked bacon bits
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine the thawed hashbrown potatoes, cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, milk, shredded cheddar cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly, and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions and cooked bacon bits, if desired.
- Serve the hashbrown chicken casserole as a main dish with a side of vegetables or a fresh salad.
Enjoy your homemade hashbrown chicken casserole! It’s a comforting and satisfying meal that is perfect for family dinners or potluck gatherings.
Here are some additional details and variations you can consider:
- Chicken: You can use cooked chicken breasts, thighs, or a combination of both. Rotisserie chicken works well too for added convenience. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and any other desired spices before cooking or using.
- Potatoes: Frozen hashbrown potatoes are commonly used in this recipe as they are convenient and provide a crispy texture. However, you can also use freshly grated potatoes if you prefer. Just make sure to squeeze out any excess moisture before using them in the casserole.
- Creamy sauce: The combination of condensed cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and milk creates a creamy and flavorful sauce. If you prefer a homemade sauce, you can make a roux using butter and flour, then gradually whisk in chicken broth or stock until thickened. Season it with herbs and spices like thyme, parsley, or paprika.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese are commonly used in this casserole, but you can experiment with other types of cheese as well. Monterey Jack, Colby, or a blend of cheeses can add different flavors and textures to the dish.
- Seasonings: The garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper provide a basic flavor profile. Feel free to add other seasonings or herbs such as paprika, dried oregano, or dried basil to enhance the taste.
- Toppings: While the casserole is delicious on its own, you can add extra toppings to enhance the flavors and presentation. Chopped green onions, cooked bacon bits, or even a sprinkle of breadcrumbs can add texture and visual appeal.
- Vegetables: If you want to incorporate vegetables into the casserole, you can add ingredients like diced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, or frozen peas. Sauté the vegetables before adding them to the casserole or mix in frozen vegetables directly.
- Make-Ahead and Freezing: Hashbrown chicken casserole can be prepared in advance and refrigerated until ready to bake. You can also freeze the casserole before or after baking. If freezing, make sure to thaw it completely before baking or adjust the baking time accordingly.
Remember, these variations are just suggestions, and you can experiment with different ingredients and flavors to create your own unique hashbrown chicken casserole. Enjoy the process and have fun exploring different combinations!