If you’re looking for a delicious homemade alternative to takeout fried rice, I’ve got a recipe for you! This version of fried rice is customizable, packed with flavor, and can be made with ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. Here’s a recipe for better-than-takeout fried rice:
– 3 cups cooked rice (preferably day-old and chilled)
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
– 1 small onion, diced
– 1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, bell peppers, etc.)
– 2 eggs, lightly beaten
– 2 tablespoons soy sauce
– 1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– Salt and pepper to taste
– Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and diced onion, and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until fragrant and slightly softened.
- Push the garlic and onion to one side of the skillet and pour the beaten eggs onto the other side. Scramble the eggs until they are fully cooked, and then mix them together with the garlic and onion.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the mixed vegetables to the skillet. Stir-fry for about 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are cooked but still slightly crisp.
- Push the vegetables, eggs, and aromatics to one side of the skillet, and add the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil to the other side. Add the chilled cooked rice to the skillet and break up any clumps with a spatula.
- Drizzle the soy sauce and oyster sauce (if using) over the rice. Stir everything together until the rice is evenly coated with the sauces and the ingredients are well combined. Continue to stir-fry for another 3-4 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and the rice to heat through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and drizzle the sesame oil over the fried rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and give it a final toss to incorporate the sesame oil.
- Serve the better-than-takeout fried rice hot, garnished with chopped green onions for added freshness and color.
Feel free to customize this recipe by adding cooked shrimp, chicken, or other proteins of your choice. You can also adjust the vegetable mix to your liking. Enjoy your delicious homemade fried rice that’s better than takeout!